Gmail is an amazing email service and probably the best in the world right now. It is fast, reliable and the email search feature is its crowning achievement. When it works, it simply gets out of your way and helps you get things done. However, when you cannot login due to some reason, it can throw a spanner in the works and turn into a real headache. However, you can systematically find out the problem and resolve the gmail.com login issue with some patience.
Sometimes, you can access the Gmail home page and not be able to login. In this case, when you try to log in, it won’t show an “invalid username or password” message. It will instead give you a 404 message or some internet server error. If that happens to you, it is most likely that your internet connection is very slow:
• If you are on a mobile network, try using a Wi-Fi and check if the issue persists
• If you can get hold of a desktop somewhere, try logging in from that
• The internet connection issue could also be specific to your device, so try from another device
Contacting the ISP or network admin will solve the Gmail login issue for most people. As people increasingly use their 3G mobile networks to access Gmail, spotty network coverage can cause the above problem.
It is not uncommon for people to forget the password to their Gmail accounts. This can be a problem because especially for long passwords, because even a single wrong character will lead to login failure. Here is what you can do:
• Type the password slowly, one key at a time, so you can be sure you are typing the characters right.
• Type the password in a text editor, so you can see what you have typed, and copy-paste it on to the Gmail.com password field.
Remember to erase the password you typed in the editor, so you don’t leave it open for others to see. If you know the right password and are just having problems typing them in the right sequence, the above steps will alleviate the issue.
This is by far the most common cause for Gmail login issues. People forget their passwords, especially when they have to remember dozens for different accounts. If you have truly forgotten your password, use the Google account recovery method. Here is what you can do:
• Click on the forgot password link on the login page
• Enter your email address
• Answer the security question
• If you answer correctly, you will get a code on your phone or a reset link in your alternate email address
• Follow the instructions and enter the new password
If you have trouble remembering passwords for multiple Gmail accounts, consider using a password manager. This type of utility will store your passwords safely and will also make sure that you are using strong ones in the first place. Because they are centrally stored, you do not need to remember them all. Even if you are not a technical expert, you can resolve Gmail login issues within minutes.